Despite a population of around 12,000, Burnham calls itself a village. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) and forms part of the Chiltern Hundreds, comprising Burnham, Desborough and Stoke. Many of its listed buildings date from the 18th and 19th centuries and some are earlier. Most are found in the High Street and characterise Burnham's self-contained nature, standing apart from the nearby urban sprawl of Slough. The photographs were taken in September 2013.