Chiltern Society PhotoGroup

Gilbey's Restaurant next to the Entrance of the old Free Grammar School for Boys. Dated 1624 but the building is older: known as Church House it has a long history and was an early meeting place for the people and traders of Amersham. The building was built by the Fraternity of St. Katherine, set up by some of the tradesmen by the 15th century. The Fraternity aimed to support those who had fallen on bad times and had a priest to pray for them. The building has also acted as the Parish Room, Town Hall and meeting place.
Author: R Darrah