Chiltern Society PhotoGroup

RAF Halton's welcome sign incorporates the five arrows of the Rothschild coat of arms as well as an aeroplane propellor. In 1913 Alfred de Rothschild invited the Army to use his land for summer manoeuvres and the soldiers were joined by No 3 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. By the end of the war in 1918 the station had under training 6000 airmen mechanics, 2000 women and 2000 boys at a Training Depot.
Author: A Beck