Chiltern Society PhotoGroup

 
 
 
02GPgp004.jpg
 
The canal was opened through Berkhamsted in 1798 as the Grand Junction Canal, later to become the Grand Union Canal. It was built to connect London to the manufacturing towns of the Midlands. The 5th Duke of Bridgewater, who lived in nearby Ashridge, initiated the development of canals in the Midlands which then led on to the building of this canal. (1996)
Author: G Patterson